It's the binding that makes it a 'piano-hinge'. A number of notches are cut along the edge of each signature. Alternate notches are then pushed forward, and skewers are threaded through the tabs, locking each signature into the next. The skewers are bound with black linen thread, and decorated with gold open-weave yarn and beads.
The covers of each signature are scrapbook card, pink with dark-pink glitter circles. The signatures are coloured copy paper. I used 'postal' pattern scissors to cut out the image, and press-on words.
Page painted with interference colours, colour copy image transfer of vintage New Zealand stamp, and stamped tree.
Quote, washi paper 'Paris', stamps curlies.
'Postage' cut image, rub on flower, stamping and paua.
rub on quote.
Zentangle - just learning to do this - fun!
I gave this to my friend Lindsay, who'd had a long and stressful day. I hope she likes it.
Thursday, 5 July 2012
I used sheets of A4 180gsm off-white card for these. Divided into quarters, painted, squirted, and painted some more. Once I was happy with the background, I cut up the sheets into individual postcards. The images are black & white laserjet prints. I painted Golden Regular Gel onto the face/front of the image, let it dry a little, then laid it face down onto the painted card. Once it was completely dry, I dampened the backing, and rubbed off the paper. This method of image transfer requires both patience and elbow grease - if you try to take the backing paper off too soon, you can lose the image. The Huia image also has a 'woodgrain' stencil on it.
This orange colour has proved really great to show up the transfers.
Card Backs: Each card is backed with a colour photocopy of a 1920's era post card and stamps. I initially did the cardbacks as image transfer, using Golden soft gel, but they were almost a complete disaster. I don't know if it was the gel, lack of patience (it was really cold and things weren't drying), or what. I do like the effect of the colour copy. The edges were a bit 'gluey' so I rubbed them with a bit of paint and stain.
Again, laser print image transfers. This time I went over the Manaia with felt pens, paint and ink. The 'vine' pattern (it has a real name, but I don't know what it is) I went over with fine and thick black pens to accentuate the image. I found some coir string (probably from a bunch of flowers) and stuck that on, with a bit of chunky gold embossing 'powder'. I like the big butterfly washi tape down the side.
I just love these four cards. I was a bit worried they were going to be too dark, but they look really great. The base layers are a dark blue, dark purple, then lighter blues and purples, sprayed with soapy water to make them run and bubble. Once that was dry, I crunched up, then laid plain white tissue paper over the card. This was highlighted/lowlighted with various paints, including interference colours, that were squirted and then allowed to run. A dark ink was rubbed on the high points. I then used plant stamps, which were coloured in with ink pens and paint. Yummy yummy.
I didn't initially like this set - it just wasn't colours I liked. Base colours were oranges and reds. Then I did the 'woodgrain' stencil, covered it with scrunched tissue, more paint. Then a 'celtic' stamp. The butterflies are from a couple of different sources, but they seem to go well together.