Pages

Sunday 11 November 2012

The Daily Paleo - let's call it Day 5

Oh I love Paleo - fresh salmon (the tail end, lol) almost dry-fried in the iron frypan! Oh yeah, oh yeah! Happy dances! I shared it with Becca - honestly! What a fantastic way to start Sunday morning.

Woke up early (0715 - which is early for me) with buzzy brain - gotta study, gotta study ... don't want to study. Did some study. meh.

At Church early - I will be so glad when we're out of 'Hub West'. Just waiting for the Seventh Day Adventist church across the road to approve us using their facilities on a Sunday morning - and they'll provide the sound tech! Yay - maybe next Sunday will be our last stint doing A/V for the worship team.  What was fun has turned into a chore, and not just for us, by the sound of it. (ugh - bad pun!) Walked in, got told off for trying to put the cloth (had taken it home to be washed) onto the communion table. Yeah. Whatever. It's kind of cool that you can cry during worship, and people think you're just carried away by the moment.

Home for a cup of coffee, and think about lunch, while pretending to study.

I really need something to replace sandwich bread for David and Becca.

This was what I made:





Let's call them 'wraps'. I forgot to put the lettuce on top, silly me! The topping is grated carrot and cheese (yeah, I know, not strict Paleo, but I want them to eat the darn veges!), tomato and celery, with a bit of salt and pepper.

The 'wraps':
Argh - I found four different recipes, three of which wanted between 6 and 8 egg whites! Really! What am I going to do with that many yolks???? (yes, I know, there are all sorts of things that I could make - the first one that leapt to my mind was lemon curd, yummy yummy ....) Anyway, this is what I finally used:

1 cup coconut flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 tspn baking powder
2 eggs, beaten in about 1 1/2 cups of water
pinch of salt

Mix it all together, and put dollops in your HOT frying pan. I used olive oil (Extra Virgin - love the taste). I used the fish slice to sort of flatten it out as it started cooking. It just wanted to come completely off the pan, so I sort of shuffled it sideways and spread it out. Once the bottom starts to cook, you can actually turn it over quite easily. Cook till it's a lovely golden colour both sides, and put to one side to cool.

Both David and Becca went back for seconds - yum, they said. But as far as a 'sandwich bread' alternative, it was a fail. Too crumbly, says David.

The other 'wrap' recipes:
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 tspn baking powder
8 egg whites
1/2 cup water
pinch of salt

4 TB coconut flour
6 egg whites
4 TB almond milk
salt, cumin, chilli powder, garlic salt - to taste

1/4 cup coconut flour
8 egg whites
1/4 tspn baking powder
1/2 cup water

2 cups Almond flour
2 large eggs
Salt

For most of these, they were formed into balls, flatten, then either dry-fried or baked in an oven. Might try that next time.

ART



Birthday card for a friend. The front image was from a commercial card I really liked, with the original sentiment removed, and replaced with 'Happy Birthday'. Printed out on the colour printer, then attacked with inks, stamps, a pretty brad, and a tag.


What else????

Got another batch of Kefir going - I've already drank the first litre - it just tasted toooooooo good! Ordered some actual grains from someone on TradeMe. The stuff I have is powder, and it's just making a really fine creamy covering on the coconut milk. I may of course regret this purchase later - cream is easier to eat than lumps!

A nap - oh, so needed that nap - I fell asleep in church - not that Aaron was boring, but for some reason they are putting the powerpoint too low down on the wall, so I can't see it. Aaron was standing directly in front of it, and there's only so long you can look at a guy, even if he's your pastor, that has a face for radio. And you know where your eyes start going as they get heavier ....

Took the dogs for a walk at Henderson Park before dinner. Met a couple of other dogs, but they didn't really want to play. Tara went for a swim in the creek - only came back wet, not muddy.

Dinner was good Paleo - roast Pork - nom nom nom, cauli, carrots, cabbage, roast pumpkin, kumara and parsnip.

Sat on the exercycle and peddled while I studied - did 16 minutes! 8 calories - about 4km! How about that, kiddies!

Still reading Robb Wolf's Paleo book - in absolute stitches reading some of it!

That's it for tonight - I was going to go to bed early - like 35 minutes ago!!!!!

ttfn
:)

No comments: